Monday, January 30, 2012

Something to Think About...

I recently graduated college with a degree in Education.  Since I graduated in the middle of the school year, I have been subbing since the beginning of January.  It has been a wonderful experience so far but hope to have my own classroom by August! 
Today I subbed for a Physical Education teacher in an elementary school.  I taught children in pre- school up to fifth grade.  

Trying to be a true blogger ;) This is what I decided to wear when subbing for P.E. 
Cute Tennis Shoes Eh?

I even got a whistle ;)



Throughout the day, I began to notice a pattern.  I did not realize how so many children despise exercise.  You would have thought we asked them to run for an hour straight by their reactions to "Jog three laps around the gym to warm up."  It really made me sad because exercise and fitness are so important in not only keeping your body healthy but also in helping them to succeed in the classroom.  It was so obvious the only exercise many of them get was the 30 minutes twice a week during P.E. which totally breaks my heart!  I hope one day I can find a way to help promote fitness and exercise in young children and help them to learn to love it instead of feeling as if it were a punishment. 



I hope that I can help children to believe in themselves instead of immediately thinking they will fail or that it is too hard.  I cannot tell you how many times I heard, "I can't do it" before they even tried today!  Confidence is crucial and I hope to instill that confidence in as many children as possible throughout my career as a teacher! :)

1 comment:

  1. This is so true. I love making those babies do jumping jacks and other crazy exercises between boring tests. I wanna sub P.E. SO J!

    ReplyDelete